CURRENT JOB OPPORTUNTIES
Echo Bay Development Ltd. is seeking a General Manager. Echo Bay Lodge is a beautiful full-service marina on Gilford Island in the Broughton Archipelago. Due to the remote location, this is a boat-access only, off-grid marina. Energy is by battery packs, generator and wood heat; telephone service can be sporadic, with a preferred method of communication by email. The Kwikwasut’inuxw Haxwa’mis First Nations (KHFN) are in the process of purchasing Echo Bay Development Ltd. and are seeking a General Manager.
The General Manager, does everything, oversees and coordinates the operations of all services offered at the lodge, store / post office, restaurant, marina, and, events.
This is a full-time position in the high season (summer) with year-round management and maintenance obligations.
• Prepares an operating budget and work plan for the business (within the first few months of employment)
• Maintains budgets, prioritizes projects, seeks funding, develops partnerships
• Maintains and repairs floating and on land buildings, wharves, fuel tanks, generator and other structures and equipment
• Develops contracts and agreements as needed with employees, contractors, and service providers
• Manages staff and contractors consistent with approved budgets and work plans
• Maintains, develops, implements, and adapts safety procedures, including WorkSafe and COVID-19
• Manages bookings
• Providing support to other roles as needed, including in the store, kitchen, mooring (helps cook for special events)
• Monitoring and ensuring customer service and guest experiences are maintained to a high standard, including problem-solving and responding to complaints and challenges
• Makes supply runs to Port McNeill and mid-Vancouver Island, as needed mainly during the summer months
• Acts as an advocate and networks on behalf of the Echo Bay Lodge 2
• The general manager will need to relocate to Echo Bay during the high season, often returning throughout the year, and give for holidays and days off relieve to care-takers
• Maintaining relationships and communication with existing businesses and industry while encouraging retention and expansion
Education and Experience:
• Secondary school diploma
• five years of management experience
• Experience in mechanics and construction a strong asset
• Full-Time position – one year contract with a review after three months and the possibility of renewal
• Wage – TBD
• Reports directly to Echo Bay Development Ltd. board of directors
• In the final stages before hiring, when making a conditional offer of employment, the employee will be subject to the successful completion of the criminal record check.
• Ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically, both orally and in writing
• Strong business acumen
• Dedicated, self-starters, reliable, experience in generating a team environment.
• Strong organizational and document management skills
• Strong time management and prioritization skills
• Self-motivation and ability to work independently
• Ability to function in a cross-cultural environment
• Ability to problem solve
Abilities and skills:
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Keen understanding of First Nations culture, traditions and structures
• SVOP boat certification an asset
• Valid British Columbia Driver’s License and reliable personal vehicle transportation an asset
We offer competitive compensation and are flexible in the structuring of the employment arrangements for this unique opportunity. Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to forward their cover letter and resume in confidence by June 20, 2020 to email@example.com. Call Andrea (Monday through Friday during the day) with any questions 778 997-7423.
T’Se’Kame Forestry Ltd. and Echo Bay Developments Ltd. are seeking an Office Administrator & Bookkeeper.
We are looking for a bookkeeper and administrator to assist in running two First Nation’s owned small businesses within the Broughton Archipelago in the mid-coast of British Columbia. T’Se’Kame Forestry Ltd. is a forest management company and water taxi business that has been in operations since 2010. Echo Bay Development Ltd. is a full-service marina that will be under new management in June 2020. Both companies are arm’s length business’s that are / will soon be owned by the Kwikwasut’inuxw Haxwa’mis First Nation (KHFN).
Our organizations are seeking an administrative manager with bookkeeping abilities to support our business activities. This role will provide admin support to our management team with a strong emphasis on maintaining financial control through proficient bookkeeping. This is full-time or consulting position that can be done remotely.
– Two companies bookkeeping and payroll using Quickbooks
– Completes accounts payable, accounts receivable
– Files payroll and payroll tax remittance to the governments, and WCB, through Ceridian, then data entry into the books
– Generates bank reconciliation on a timely and monthly basis
– Tracks budgets, and developing quarterly reports
– Write up of companies’ year-end records up to trial balance including reconciliation of all balance sheet accounts
– Develops service contracts and contracts with employees, contractors, and service providers
– Prepares and files GST, PST, T4/T5 returns
– Provides data for annual reports
– Retains stores, backs up and files records
– Assists and coordinates meetings with board members
– Assists in coordinating newsletter write ups
Education and Experience:
– Bachelor of Business Administration studies or a combination of education and experience
– A minimum one-year accounting or bookkeeping experience or a combination of experience and education; public practice experience is an asset
– Detail-oriented, precise, and organized
– Must handle confidential information with honesty and integrity
– Keen understanding of First Nations culture, traditions and structures
– Positive attitude and decisiveness
– Development of professional judgement
– Aware of one’s capabilities and understanding of when to draw upon others’ experience
– Effective interpersonal skills
Abilities and Skills
• Demonstrates strong analytical, organizational and administrative skills
• Interprets and applies rules, regulations, guidelines and procedures
• Maintains up to date checklists of all bookkeeping/GST/Payroll/WCB filings
• Works co-operatively with clients and other staff
• Self-motivated and can work independently
• Meets deadlines, work well under stress, and multi-task
• Works in a computerized environment (spreadsheets, word processing, email, internet)
• Works in and contribute to a team-building environment
• Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills
• 32 hours per week – one-year contract with a review after 3 months and the possibility of renewal
• Office or home office with reliable telephone and internet connection
• The work can be done, in part, remotely with the need to be onsite approximately once per month.
• Flexibility with hours and travel to north Vancouver Island is required.
• Reports directly to the Managing director and general manager
We offer competitive compensation and are flexible in the structuring of the employment arrangements for this unique opportunity. Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to forward their cover letter and resume in confidence by June 20, 2020 to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Call Bruce (Monday-Friday during the day) with any questions 604 833-9946.